Thursday, April 21, 2016

S is for Senses. . . 5 Senses (unit 1)

Overview of the Five Senses

Letter of the day: S

Number of the day: 5

Purpose of this Lesson: Help your child learn their five senses and why it is important we need our senses.

This is a big Unit to cover, so I split it up into 4 lessons. Over two weeks. (I typically do 2 lessons a week).
We didn't have an actual Mr. Potato Head, so I made cut outs with construction paper and laminated them to make our own. (I did buy a laminater a few months ago, but do not feel like you need to by one).

I had the kids choose a body part and stick it on the Potato's body. We discussed every body part that we put on and their different functions.
After that we read the book: My Five Senses, by Aliki, which they also have on youtube if you did not have access to your local library.
I found a poem on pinterest and made a flip book with pictures to help them memorize it. I could not figure out how to put the word document onto the blog, so if you are interested in getting a copy leave a comment with your e-mail and I can e-mail it to you.
We watched this video from Youtube
 
I know Dr. Binocs is kind of weird, but my kids love him and it's educational.
For our activity we popped popcorn and used our 5 senses to learn about popcorn. 
For the 5 senses popcorn printable click here.


My kids colored a picture with the five senses graphics. I like these simple coloring page, because then I put it up on Peyton's display board, that way he see's it and tells me about it all week.



I made different Mr. Potato pieces for P to play with after preschool.



We didn't do this during preschool, but just for fun another day. We watched this barney video. . .

 

There are more lessons to come in this Unit. . . Stay Tuned!



Below is the picture I used for their coloring sheet that I found on google images.


No comments:

Post a Comment